Friday 4 May 2007

My Achilles heel may well be my achilles heel!!

Now, about 7 months ago, I had the pleasure of being civilly registered to my partner of 5 years, and as one does on this sort of (hopefully once in a lifetime) occasion, I celebrated well into the early hours and made sure that there was not one drop of wine left, in the many bottles that graced the tables during the reception. If I tell you that it took me 3 attempts to get out of the lovely rolled top bath we had in our hotel suite, once the partying had finished, you will get some idea of how much wine had been left in those bottles for me to guzzle. (For your info, I eventually got out of the bath with the assistance of my lovely and very recently betrothed, but not before I had flooded the bathroom and received 2 lovely bruises on the inside of my upper arms!!!)

The following morning, I couldn’t feel 3 of my toes on my right foot and to this day have no recollection of how I sustained such an injury. Over the next few days the feeling returned and then I realized how painful the top of my foot was. Incredibly (or stupidly some would say) I hobbled about on my poor foot for about 8 weeks, before, strangely, the pain started to move up my foot and to the back of my heel- which now clicks menacingly, when I walk down stairs!!!

Now you may think I am digressing from the important issue of our training progress, but a clicking Achilles is not the sort of thing a girl needs when she is in training for the marathon. (Ok, 5 k, but I tell you it feels like the marathon and will possibly take me as long to run it)

So, concerned for my well being and my sponsors hard earned cash, I took myself off to the physiotherapist at my local gym.

The long and short of it is this:

I am flat footed and excessively pronate!!!!! She is surprised my knees and hips don’t ache!!!!!

I need pronation insoles to realign my posture- cheaper on-line from Dr Foot!!!!!!

I had actually sustained a small stress fracture of my second metatarsal all those months ago, probably due to excessive dancing!!! (There is evidence to suggest that I was pogo-ing at one point!!!!) As a result I have shortened my Achilles tendon, which I now have to re-stretch!!

My new all singing and dancing pale blue running shoes with go-faster silver flashes (RRP £150. Outlet price £40) are crap!!!! They are nice looking trainers but really should only be worn with jeans!!!!

Would as a result of 4. like to name and shame the very successful sports company who have marketed my training shoes as runners but unsure of libel law, so will play it safe and will only name and shame to Rosemary, who was with me when I bought them and therefore it doesn’t really count.


The good news is that she can think of no good reason for me NOT to continue with my training. So I can’t even get out of it by feigning a dodgy Achilles tendon.

Well friends that’s it for today. I will of course be in touch soon to update you on my running progress……Achilles permitting!!

Yours gingerly,
Julie

No comments: